Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Changing Names...


I was having lunch with a young woman this weekend and as I listened to her share her heart I realized that she should meet a friend of mine. I told her I had a guy I wouldn’t mind introducing her to. Immediately she asked me, "What’s his name?" I knew instinctively why she wanted to know and couldn’t help but laugh. “Why, you want to see how it goes with yours?”

She just laughed in return. Because anyone that is a girl or knows a girl, knows that from the time we’re in grade school and have notebooks of our own to decorate we splatter them with the decoration of our new last name. My first one was Denise Gunnerson. Robbie Gunnerson was my third grade crush and the first boy that ever let me wear his baseball cap. That was only after I let go of my true first husband who had me going by the name of Denise Osmond.

A name change changes your very identity. It comes with a wedding ring, a “filing jointly” status and a life of being known as belonging to someone. And even though men will never know what it is to graffiti their Five Star notebooks with a new last name, I can’t help but think not one of us hasn’t at some point needed a name change.

God did a lot of changing names. He changed Abram to Abraham, Jacob to Israel, Simon to Peter and Saul to Paul. These men were childless, schemers, wishy-washy and bullies. But when God changed them the became fathers, patriarchs, rocks and history changers.

What is most heartbreaking is when someone doesn’t believe their name can be changed. I see it so often. People who have decided their sin, their “just the way I am,” or the pain of their past is who they are. Some may fight for a while. Tug at the chains around their neck, Try to pretend they’re something they’re not. But the bloodiness of their hands has them tired. And the charade that might have fooled others has never fooled them.

But the chain has a key to the lock. The “sin that doeth so easily beset us,” has a liberator. The schemer, the abuser, the double-minded man, the adulterer, the liar, the alcoholic, the doubter, each has a redeemer, who when He sets us free He “sets us free indeed.” Not halfway. Not partway. But all the way.

Will it hurt? Yep. It will change us forever. Because it won’t just change our name it will change the way we walk too. When Jacob met the Angel of God at the ford of the Jabbok and they wrestled, scripture says that the Angel touched Jacob in his hip socket and he forever walked with a limp. Even how he walked was different. Why? Because he looked in the face of that Angel and said, “I’m not letting go until you bless me.”

Why do people spend their lives with names they were never meant to carry, pains God never desired them to endure, identities defined by their issues instead of who God can be to them? Because they weren’t willing to hold on. They weren’t willing to “go there” to “get there.” Jacob knew what the old Jacob looked like. The old Jacob had spent his life running. Stealing. And living with the consequences of it. And he was bloody alright, but when he finally got to a place, away from his family, away from all his crutches, and alone with God, God met him. And wrestled with Him and He with God. And no matter how difficult the struggle Jacob refused to let go. And in the end God changed his name. He changed his name to Israel. He was now known as the man who "persisted with God." And Jacob was never the same. Never.

I don’t know how you may have thought you were defined. I don’t know what you’ve been called in the past, how you’ve named yourself, what your parents called you, or what your friends addressed you by. But I know that each of us has the opportunity to be redefined. Don’t have to take it. Everything with God is a choice. He created choice. Why? Because He, like us, wants His name to be chosen. Just like we as women choose whose name we will take in marriage because we want to know we love them and just like men choose who they will give their name to, because they want it to belong to the one they want to spend the rest of their lives with, God is the same way. He wants to be desired, cherished and when He is, He graciously bestows His name upon us. And when He does even the way we walk will be different.

May we be so bold as to cross over to the Jabbock. May we get alone with God and may we persist with him until He blesses us. May we not let go until He blesses us. Because the one thing I do know is that He won’t ever let go of us…

5 comments:

daniella said...

You crack me up...I can't even recall the amount of "names" I've gone under in gradeschool, probably a different one ever couple of years, for sure. One of them was deffinitely Mrs. Brian Austin Green and Mrs. Elijah Wood.

Daniella Wood. THANK GOD doesn't answer ALL our prayers!

Anywho, one of my dear friends is going through a heartbreaking divorce that she never wanted to happen (who does? duh). I know you've gone through a hard hearbreak (simply from reading between the lines of your blog) and my friend's story and how she feels reminds me of you. I can't explain why, but this post will help me guide her in encouraging her through these times.

Thank you, darlin'! As always, I simply heart you and everything you have to say.

God bless you today and keep you close.
d.

Amber Nicole Smith said...

God knows I have had my share of "names" -LOL!

I still have the one that I was born with though, which is fine with me.

I love this one though, Ms. Denise. Really, I do.

Nancy Hutson said...

I can't even imagine the names I have carried in my 48 years which do include a crazy choice in marrying someone because my biolgical clock was ticking; the loss of my sweet Ronnie to a heart attack and then now to my sweet hubby Scott. But then I look at all the names that I've been through spiritually and that's overwhelming...God must want to bean me on occasion for my stubbornness!! However, I am so grateful when I look back and see how He has connected the dots to bring me to who I am today and I am blessed! Thanks be to God on High for his love for me (us)!

Thanks Denise for sharing from your heart. Love you a ton girlfriend!

Nancy Hutson

Beauty From Ashes said...

I was married to my kids’ dad for 15 years. I knew he had problems when I married him (prescription drug addiction), but that was supposed to be all behind him. We served in church together (I was children’s director for a medium sized church in south GA), and life was great. But lie after lie, time after time, he always relapsed into the habit. In the spring of 2006 he began drinking in addition to the pills, and in June I found text messages to another woman. I was absolutely caught off guard and devastated. I stayed in the house until January of 2007, trying to go to counseling and work things out.

Nothing changed, and we ended up divorcing. I went through an almost suicidal time dealing with grief and loss. I lost not only my home, my husband, and my life… but also my future and all our dreams. I could hardly take care of myself and my kids.

I eventually began to pull myself together and met a wonderful man at church. We began dating, and after counseling with my Pastor and other trusted people in my life, I decided to remarry. Everyone thought it’s what I needed to put my life back together and move forward. The changes have been wonderful for my children and brought them great peace. I do love my new husband, but there is still a very big part of me who grieves the man and the life I lost.

One big thing I continue to struggle with is the name change. We were married on July 20th of this year, but I have not yet legally taken my husband’s name. I have been a “Beasley” since I was 20 years old. I don’t know how to be anything else. It’s almost like I’m having and identity crisis!

I told all of this to get to this point – this blog spoke to me in my deepest places. I’ve read your work since Savannah from Savannah, and often thought how alike we are. We emailed once (I’m Stephanie from Statesboro GA). I want you to know how very much I appreciate you being a vessel for the Lord. My fervent prayer is for God to change me from the inside out, and to bring the beauty from my ashes. That plan, apparently, includes a name change.

I will begin in children’s ministry on Wednesday nights in our new church, with my new husband assisting me. I’m walking forward, trying not to look back. I feel so very humbled for God to still want to use me for His kingdom.

Thanks Denise, for everything. Love you bunches!

Dawn said...

Beautiful post!