Sunday, September 21, 2008

He Knows me by Name

I was doing my usual Sunday morning routine, roast in the oven, homemade biscuits made and ready to bake when I got home. (I know...southern girl making homemade biscuits...crazy.) Headed to the bathroom to start getting ready for church and standing there in front of my makeup mirror, magnified more times than should be legal, my ears tuned into the news coming from the television in my bedroom.

They were recapping the financial crisis of this past week. They proceeded to speculate on what would happen if this 700 billion dollar bailout wasn't enough. That was when my mind started. First the thought, then the vain imagination, by the time I was through I was envisioning my entire family all living back at my parent's house rationing peas and corn. Honestly, that was where my mind went.


Immediately I brought that thought into captive. Standing there in front of the mirror, mascara wand in hand, I shook it at my reflection and simply stated, "God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind." I didn't stop there, "I've never seen the righteous forsaken, or God's seed begging for bread."
I steadied the beating of my erratic heart beat and continued to get ready and headed out to church. As I slipped into my padded chair next to my friend these words came on the screen...

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

The tears fell freely. No big surprise. I'm an emotional sort that way. But I realized that is my God. That is our God. The God who tells lightening where to strike, who gives the sun the source for its light, who placed the stars in the sky and knows them by name. That same God who knew us before we were formed in our mother's womb. That is our God.

God doesn't determine our life on the fly. He didn't wake up this morning and play "tiddly winks" with our destinies. He knew each day before we were even a thought to our mother and father. Before sperm met egg. Before desire met opportunity. Before all of that God created a destiny for us.

Are there uncertainties in life? Absolutely. Are some of us facing more difficult times than we ever have before? I wouldn't doubt it. But does any of that change the faithfulness or ability of God? Not for a moment.

My pastor shared this thought in Sunday's service, "trials and difficulties are often the place where vision begins." Maybe in the seasons of our most difficult places God will create new vision in us. Financial Adviser Dave Ramsey found his gift only after going bankrupt. Now he's oneof the nation's leading financial advisors, has a show on Fox Business Channel and the 4th rated radio show in the nation. Maybe during the difficult season of our life God has a new vision to place into the very soul of us. But we have to be willing to look at the Creator of our life instead of the circumstance of our day.

Whatever times may be ahead, whether prosperous or challenging, none of it changes the fact that the God knows us by name. The picture at the top of the page is of a Stock Broker on Wall Street bowed in defeat. Ironic that it is this same position that brings real victory. Don't know what you might be bowing down to. Not sure if you've bowed your head in prayer for a while. Not sure if you've ever bowed your heart to the One who formed you, but He is waiting. Available. Even now. And I do know that if He has heavenly storehouses laden with snow and is waiting for the perfect time to let them fall, then He can be trusted with whatever place the state of your heart finds itself today.

This picture however is the vision of the God who knows you...The one who is behind that sun and tells that water where it must stop. That is our God. And He is amazing...And He knows us by name...

4 comments:

Erin said...

Absolutely beauitful words. As we've barely had financial stability since moving here, we have learned that He will provide. I love that song you mentioned. And what you said about remembering all that the Lord of the Universe has created and has control over. He will take care of His beloved.

Anonymous said...

Denise,
For a brief moment I too turned and looked at the despair of this world - then God reminded me of the many times when my strength was spent, and my hands were empty - yet HIS storehouse was full and He supplied every need! I've been busy in the world today and the weight of it was wearing on me. Your blog and Mercy Came Running was God's confirmation to me that I am NOT running this race alone --- in fact, He is carrying me. Thank you my friend, I love ya!

daniella said...

Denise, I LOVE this post. I can read it over and over and over again EVERYDAY. I could sing that song over and over and over again (I included it in my sets a lot when I used to lead worship in Arizona). Thanks for the reminder. Can I come over for some roast and bisquits? Seriouslly, I'm in need of a good recipe, will you share?

BTW, I love the pictures you have up top of the blog. The short hair was cute, but the longer is so much more you.

Always good to hear what you have to say, my friend.

Anonymous said...

This is so encouraging and I thank you for writing what's been on lots of folks' hearts.

Btw, reading your Flies on the Butter book now (you're a new author for me!) and it's such a lift now.

Thanks. :)