Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Vision-Worth Running For

When I found Ms. T.J. Williams, the automotive teacher, the only thing not sticking out of the hood of the car was her head. I believe that was stuck somewhere inside the engine. When she finally came up for air she informed her students, "Tell Mrs. Anderson she needs a new alternator." I had originally met Ms. Williams a couple months ago at the open house for Maplewood High School in Nashville. She had told me then that her babies came into school hungry every morning so she had made a "snack table". I was there because my small group had decided we wanted to contribute to her "snack table." So I came bearing juices, granola bars, peanut butter and cheese crackers and Little Debbie cakes...mmm...

As we walked out to my car she was telling me what this place had been like just a little over a year ago. She had been called in to help pull this school out of its lowest ranking in all of metro county. She said when she arrived the teacher before her had stolen most all of the equipment that they did have. What he had left was broken and worn out. There were mattresses laying all around the garage because the past years of automotive classes were spent smoking dope and "hanging out". And she had one day to pull it all together. She picked up the phone to call a friend and tell her what it looked like. "But I have a vision for it." Ms. Williams said. Her friend told her, "Well, write it down then. Like it says in Habakkuk." So, write it down she did. She said, "I told the Lord I want all our equipment to be in red like the color of your blood."

"But I knew I wouldn't get all of that equipment by the next day when school started, so I had to start somewhere. So, I cleaned this place up, threw all those old mattresses away and let those babies know that it was a new day!"

And an even newer day when I got there. The best equipment you'd ever want to find in an automotive garage exists in Ms. Williams classroom. And what color do you think it is? You guessed it. Red! Everything is red. The Car lifts, the tool boxes, the tools. Not to mention the fully equipped classroom off of the garage with twenty personal computers and a "smart board." And she gave all the praise to Jesus.

When I had been pondering things worth running for, this same passage in Habakkuk had come up in my heart, not even knowing Ms. Williams would confirm it when I got to see her. But I thought about how vision is worth running for. Habakkuk 2:2 says, "Write the vision down. Make it plain on the tablets that those who read it will run with it."

Ever had a vision? Ever had something burning in your heart? Or how about this...Ever had a season without vision causing you to wonder what life was worth? That's why the scriptures say, "Where there is no vision the people perish." We were created for vision. We were created to dream and create and produce.

So, what's holding you back? Fear? The Economy? Waiting for November 4th? Your own feelings of inadequacy? Granted there are some visions that have a gestation process. But there also comes a time when vision has to be acted upon inspite of what is going on around you. Why does vision matter? Because vision breeds vision. When Ms. Williams cleaned up that garage and those students arrived they realized they were now worth more than dirty mattresses and dope! They realized they were worth the finest of tools, the finest of computers, and the best of teachers.

When I got to that garage I was met by derelicts. I was met by kids whose heads were stuck up under that hood with Ms. Williams. I was met by "yes mam," "thank you so much mam." Someone is waiting on your vision. Because I'll say it again, Vision Breeds Vision. Don't wait on utopia. We are never going to have heaven on earth until Jesus comes back and creates a new earth. So, why not bring a little bit of heaven into the hell that so many now live in. I'm going to get my journal because I've got a vision to write down...and when I'm done I'm putting on my running shoes...I'd love to pass you on the street...

No comments: