Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So Help us God

George Washington made the following statements:

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.” [speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]

"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]

During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

http://www.seekfind.net/GeorgeWashington.html
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/pihtml/pinotable.html

I was checking out a movie recently on "screenit.com." You can go there to find out the details of a movie before you see it. And a PG movie used the curse word G-d seven times. I couldn't believe it. A word that use to be found only in R movies has now become one of the only curse words allowed to be used in PG. I thought, "Did I sleep through something?" I found this to be a statement of a far greater truth. A truth that if those who are offended remain silent will eventually be the only truth that remains. That "while we're sleeping" every thing that we hold of value will be subtle and craftily brought to nothing.

I was in Atlanta two weeks ago at a conference where one of the speakers said, "America isn't making decisions that could lead to judgement, America is already in the judgement of the decisions it has made." I sat there letting these words resonate over and over in my mind and realized that this is probably true.

I remember when I was in middle school and the voice came over the loud speaker that we were going to have a moment of silent prayer, every head around me bowed. Now, whenever I substitute in public school and take my Bible, because I couldn't get up early enough to read it before I left, I wonder if a child is going to see me, tell the principle or their parent and they will ask me to either not come back or not to bring my Bible with me if I do. I remember when I was little Three's Company was the raciest show on television. And now we have homosexual relationships shown on regular television with normalacy. I remember when children were seen as a heritage of the Lord and God had created plans for us before we were even in our mother's wombs and now the rights of sea turtles are more protected than the rights of the unborn. I remember when there was a standard of right and wrong, black and white, truth and lies. And now there is a no standard, truth is relative.

The saddest statement in that entire paragraph? "I remember when..." With each day that has gone by over the last couple decades truth has been taken over by relativism. But it doesn't mean that truth has changed. Truth will never change. We're told in the Gospel of John that "God's word is truth." And it is that truth that will set us free.

In this political season our nation stands more divided than it ever has before. But I still believe that our salvation isn't found in politicians. It is found in the cross. And being obedient to the statutes of the Word of God. Granted we have an obligation. We have an obligation and a privilege to vote in this next election. And I think God has allowed the gods of this world to be exploited for the weak imitations that they are. The god of Wall Street has been revealed as the cheap imitation that he is when the storms of life have come. I've taught on storms for years. And my bible tells me that it doesn't matter how we build, wise or foolish, storms will come. The difference is the aftermath. Those who have built on the rock will still be standing, those that have built on the things of their flesh will collapse.

I won't tell you who to vote for. I will tell you however, that nations in the Bible usually got the leaders they deserved. What I will ask you to do is search the Word of God. Seek Him while He may be found. Because I can't help but wonder if as the last twenty years have continued to silence and repress the body of Christ, that there may come a time when we will find ourselves in prison once again for the cause of Christ.

In the words of George Washington, "So help us God..." Yes, God help us.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful heart searching blog. While in prayer this morning I so interceded for our Father to have mercy on America. It is time we come together as a Nation and not as a Party. When I look at the precious people in my life, I don't say, are you Democrat or Republican, I don't say are you a sinner or a Christian. I just want them to sense the love for them that comes from the Father. This is an inportant election and my prayer is that God will always know He is loved and welcomed in this Nation that has been so blessed because of Him.

daniella said...

You never seize to amaze me, what an amazing post. Thanks Denise, you're a great Bible/truth teacher.

Anonymous said...

amen.

Anonymous said...

Well said, "While we were sleeping". I am guilty of just coasting along, content to just be. Our Pastor said Sunday the devil will take you one inch at a time. Now I have this sick feeling in my stomach because I realize that we gone many miles, one inch at a time, from where we used to be. It is up to us, God's people, to repent from our "sleeping" while the devil took control, and turn to Him. And we have to stand up for the Truth. Then He said He will hear and heal. You are right, we do not look to the government for our help, but to our Heavenly Father, maker, keeper, and ruler of all. God bless you and God bless the USA.

Ronel said...

Wow, this is an amazing post. Just last night I had a dream about being separated from my earthly family because of my faith in Christ. This post really hit home with me.

Anonymous said...

You have hit a grand slam with this week's blog my friend. I feel in my spirit that we are at a significant crossroads in our country. Our pastor stated a couple of Sundays ago that he believes judgment may have already begun. Lord, have mercy. Thank you, Denise, for having the courage to proclaim the truth.
Love you, girl.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post -- it was beautiful. I am always heartbroken when we as Christians point fingers and reject people because we perceive their lives to be sinful. Let us be the example rather than the finger pointer. Let us let God's love pour through us to everyone, so much that they want to know God. Let us be consistent in knowing that all life (including those of our supposed "enemies" here and abroad) are precious and worth protecting. Let us not use words that threaten by saying that God will judge or abandon us if one person or political party is elected over the other. Let us be the people who are the first to reach across all aisles to show God's love and mercy, rather than use our powerful tongue to condemn, divide, and frighten. Let us live Christ's message so fully and so powerfully in our own lives that, as the song goes that I used to sing in VBS, "they will know we are Christians by our love..." Not by our anger, not by our condemnation, not by our finger-pointing, and not by our political party or candidate, but by our love.

Stonefox said...

I see what's happening in America and I tremble. We have not endeavored to live by His ways, "so help me God." God help us! It is frightening, especially since I live outside of America and see firsthand the countries who are rising in our place.

Anonymous said...

Denise--I'm a little late reading this blog.Want you to know I follow this blog with a passion and ask others to give it a chance -just read it 1 time and then tell me it did not touch you.
Amazing blog on this date.

Anonymous said...

Two statements strike me: "America is already in the judgement of the decisions it has made" and "in the Bible, nations get the leaders they deserve". If both are true, and I have no reason to doubt either one, then the options we had as President for this election suddenly make sense. Your posts have had such depth of insight. Inspired and anointed.