Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Closed Doors


I remember years ago when my dreams of being Miss America came crashing down. (All laughter must now cease...) A friend came over to the house one day as I was sitting in front of the television eating my weight in chocolate cake watching the pageant over and over on my VCR tape. (Yes, that's how old I am.) I kept saying, "I've watched this thing a hundred times and I still haven't won! My friend says, "Sometimes God closes and door and sometimes he bolts it shut."

Years later I still have to remind myself that God's closed doors are as much God's blessing as are His opened doors. Not that closed doors are near as much fun as open doors. We love open doors. We get to explore new things. We get to grow in new ways. We get to meet new people. Kind of like what I think going on the Amazing Race would be like! But I've already bored you with that adventure.

But can my heart acknowledge God, appreciate God, have faith in God, even when He closes the door. Had to face that today. Last Wednesday at our Bible Study I had asked all of our ladies to fast together today. And of course, what do I get, but a letter in the inbox of my e-mail that is another closed door. Once again, I had to stop, grab my breath and go to the one who closed the doors.

The question was simple. "Do you trust me even when I close doors?" I felt like Peter with my answer, "Lord, where else would I go."

I have nothing profound this week. (No laughing again...) Just a simple question to each of us. Will we trust God even with the closed doors. Because they are as much His love and mercy as those that He opens. I don't know about you, but I'm not real good with options anyway. So, as long as He opens the one that is His perfect one, then that is perfectly fine with me...

3 comments:

KelMel said...

Thank you for this reminder, Denise. Sometimes it's hard to see the blessing in the "no" times, of course. Your post really went to my heart.

Anonymous said...

First of all; awesome picture of the door...

Secondly, Aaagghh, I HATE facing closed doors. And yes, most times (after the fact) I must admit, I've been relieved God closed them, and thankful to boot.

Thirdly, why does God use everything you write to cut me to the bone, huh???

daniella said...

First off, it's hard to comment after ANYTHING you write because you pretty much say all there can be said. Maybe God closed that door (the one in the email...too bad it didn't go into the junk-mail box :-) anyway, maybe God closed that door just so you'd understand this concept enough to write about it here on the blog, so others could benefit from such a lesson, or move on with that ONE thing in their lives, that one "WHY" they keep asking God about a particular door He sealed shut.

We don't knoe WHY but He DOES, and you're right, that's good enough for me.