Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Little Bit of Change

I was transplanting some rose bushes this morning. Don't know if they'll be too happy about it, but time will tell. Change is never fun. In fact, there are times it can be downright frustrating. Like when you move and that first week in your new home you wake up in the middle of the night and head to the closet thinking it's the bathroom. Or when you change jobs, schools, neighborhoods, churches and you have to be relearned. Tell your story all over again and try to discern who can be a real friend.

But change can be liberating too. Just ask my two and a half year old Shih-tzu, Sophie. She just got a haircut. I mean a hair cut! Top knot gone and everything! I thought she might be traumatized. But when she came prancing herself back through my front door that day, she had a swagger in her walk like I haven't seen. When her tail wag, her entire but shook. And when she saw that carpet she rolled her body around log a pig in slop! She has not for one moment regretted her new do.


And being relearned isn't always a bad thing either. That means we have the opportunities to learn about others as well. Hear new stories. Make new friends. See what else is out there in that world that we've missed.


I know this is a season of change for so many. Just like spring has finally folded back the last curtain of winter, some of you are turning pages of your own life. But I encourage you today to have no fear! But a swagger in your walk. Roll around on the carpet if you want. And have a Coca-Cola with a new friend and hear their story. You just might find that change can be an opened door to an entire new world. And if you need encouragement just ask Sophie, she'll tell you. Anyone who has worn a pony tail for two and a half years and is finally set free will tell you that change is a good thing. A very good thing:)

Too read more of Denise's blogs log on to www.denisehildreth.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Gretchen Fagan said...

I love Sophie! Only met her once but I fell in love with her. She is obviously a great example of how we can respond positively to change. Truly the foolish things (not that Sophie is foolish but you know what I mean!) to shame the wise :)

Ronel said...

Yes change can be tough at time yet I it such an amazing feeling to be free, too. Thank you for sharing.. I am in a season if change and I was fearful at first and now I am excited to see whT God has in store for me and my family.

Blessings!

Tori Treasure said...

Ah I agree with this totally. Change is a brilliant thing, even when it's not that obvious to begin with. I once lost a great job in the city, but by doing that had to question what it was I really wanted, and my career took a sharp turn into a much more enjoyable direction. Great post.