Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Captivating 7th Graders



I hated 7th grade. I was bullied by a girl who thought I liked her boyfriend. I had changed schools. My body was becoming that of a woman and I didn't know what to do with it. And the guy I did like couldn't decide between me and my best friend. They were tumultuous times.




(My 7th grade picture-granted the Farrah Fawcett hair was in style but seeing this you can hopefully understand a little more why it was such a difficult year.)

But a teacher changed things for me. She was my math teacher. And I hated math. But something about Ms. Anderegg captivated me. She was a hippie by all accounts. Long straight hair. And liberated! Man was she liberated! She didn't take her husband's last name which completely shocked me. But for a girl who took two years to get through Algebra 2, well, let's just say math has never been my strong suit. But for one year, this incredible teacher, taught a reader how to do math.
This was also the year that I discovered one of my all time favorite books, The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. Everything about this book captured me: the setting, the story, the characters, the conflict, the voice of the narrator. All elements of a good story culminated into the perfect storm inside the pages of that book. And I'm not sure I slept until it was finished.
Fast Forward to last week. For three days I subbed a 7th grade English class. I have substituted since college. Although I've been so busy writing books the last four years I hung up my substitute hat, I picked it back up at the beginning of this school year. When life changed for me last year I realized being at home all day by yourself can get lonely. I needed company. And since teaching is my heart, and I only have to do it when I can, and on top of that I can still write while I'm substituting during the teacher's planning period, I dusted off my substituting abilities, and my high heel shoes, because they grow them large these days, and braved the "new" world of education.

Well, let's just say after two days together I wasn't too fond of them and they weren't too fond of me. Their teacher had to retire for medical reasons and wouldn't be back the rest of the year. So, by the end of day two, I was getting a lot of, "Ms. Hildreth, are you going to be here the rest of the year?" And trust me, it wasn't because they were hoping I'd say, "Yes." When I was driving home that second afternoon I called my mother and told her, "I know why mother's eat their young!"
She laughed and reminded me how difficult her seventh grade year had been. "It was my hardest year in all of school." And that was when I remembered it had been mine too. As I was thinking about the next day and trying to figure out how I was going to endure it, I realized that the problem was that they were bored. The lesson plans had been more "busy" work then really engaging them. They needed more. So, Friday morning when I got up, I was praying and I just said, "Lord, I need something to excite these kids. Something that can challenge their little minds."
No sooner had I prayed that simple prayer that I had the idea to take in my Savannah from Savannah book, tell them I was a writer and that today they were going to become a writer too. As soon as the idea came this thought followed, "They'll think you're an idiot." I quickly countered that with, "They think all adults are idiots. Am I going to be intimidated by a group of 7th graders!"
So, in I went. I wrote the "five elements" of story on the board: setting, plot, character, conflict and point of view. And as soon as they walked in I said, "Get out a piece of paper and a pencil." They moaned and whined but obeyed. I stood up in front of them and held up my Savannah book and said, "This is a book." You can't ever assume people know anything. We all know what assuming does....
Then I said, "And I wrote it."
At this point eyes were becoming large.
"And my fifth book came out this past October."
Mouths were beginning to open, but you could have heard a pin drop.
"And today, you're going to write a story."
And for the next twenty minutes I was an English teacher to 7th graders. We talked about their favorite books, the five elements of story and what they could write about. I told them they had the rest of class to finish their story.
"But what if we're not finished before we leave?"
Yes, believe it or not, they were wanting time to actually do their class work.
"Then you have to have it to me by the end of the day. And oh, by the way, I will pick a winner from each class, even though I have no idea what you will win. But you will win something."
And I hardly had to say another word.
This happened with each class. I started the same way and the reaction was just as dramatic. They would read their stories to each other. They would leave class talking about the stories they had written. They asked me questions about my books. They took their study halls, even some took their recess and finished their stories!
As they handed them in and I began to read the creativity inside the very core of these children I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. Then I realized I had to grade them. That the comments I put on those papers would forever matter to the hearts of those children, because their papers were being graded by an author. (Don't tell them me and J.K. Rowling aren't best friends...they think we're tight....) As I began commenting on the first story I knew I had a real opportunity to speak into the life of each child. So, with each amazing story or simply precious attempt I told them that their story was "Awesome! Excellent! Amazing! Great Job! You have just become a writer! I love your dialogue! Your description is incredible!"
I haven't finished their stories yet. I plan on getting the last of them read today and I'm going to post the winners right here on my blog as part of their prize. I guess that's a prize. But I was reminded of some basic fundamentals of life that I think we should often be reminded of. I was reminded that even those kids that thought they couldn't, did. And that those things in life I don't think I'm capable of doing, like math, if someone believes in me enough, and teaches me well enough, I can do anything. I was reminded that sometimes it takes a step of vulnerability, like telling a class of seventh graders you're a writer, to open people up to you. I was reminded that the power of my words can produce life or death, so I chose to lavish each one with the praise that simply trying often gets little credit for. And I was reminded that seventh grade is a tough year but their hearts are winnable.
I was asked quite a few times on Friday if I was going to be the substitute for the rest of the year. This time it had an entirely different ring to it. As I laid in bed Friday night I was a tad melancholy at the fact that I wouldn't get to be with these kids on Monday. But then this morning as I was thinking about the last stories I would get to read and the comments I would get to write, I realized that some of them would never forget the Friday of their 7th grade year when they wrote a story. And that maybe they wouldn't forget Ms. Hildreth either. Because I know I won't forget them.


16 comments:

McClure ELA 8 said...

I teach 7th grade English- this story just made my day!

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Fabulous. Think about how you are touching those kids forever.

leigh-shelteredfromthestorm said...

Denise--as a sub myself(and the mom of an 8th grade girl) I just say Amen, sister. Thank you for giving children encouragement--some of who(m) have never received that-ever--We become who others tell us we are--we are born with that need for Someone Greater (God) to name us yet we can take what He gives us and name another for their good. That's what you did.

Your books thrill me but the person you are is so cool I can't stand it. So glad you are blogging!

Leigh
(the girl who loves the nail polish on Savannah by the Sea cover but sadly discovered that it is no longer for sale! Wah.)

Joy said...

Denise

I have a 15 year old daughter who is in AP and Honors classes. We just met last month with her guidance counselor about the rest of classes for high school. She is such a smart child and the classes she will be taken scare me just saying them let alone doing them. But because of her teachers from Kindergarten through middle school she has been taught a foundation that will go with her through out her adult life. Thanks for doing what you do. I sent out notes to all of her teachers two weeks ago thanking them for taking the time to teach not only my child but all children.

God bless

Joy

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You, and what you did, will never be forgotten by those kids. You sent me back....shall we say several decades to my 7th grade. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was a teaching assistant in Special Ed. High School for 10 years. Most of those kids-no one had ever expected much from them. They found that I did, and wanted them to learn. I taught high school SPED kids to read.I just wish I could have gotten them in elementary. What a difference it could have made in their lives.I appreciate you speaking words of life into those kids. They will never forget it and neither will you. You are a treasure! Linda W.

Anonymous said...

How amazing! My mom taught 7th grade math for most of her teaching career, so I know it takes a saint.

Leigh and I missed you so much this past weekend at the SOKY BookFest. Mitch Albom was the targeted "Featured Author" we were able to stalk. He is no Pat Conroy, but none-the-less we were all in for some stalking. Did I ever mention that I imparted some beginning stalking skills in my sweet University Bible Study girls while we were at Passion Dallas in February? It landed them having their picture made with Chris Tomlin and his band! Good times, good times!
Melanie Redden

Dawn said...

The grade on the paper can be not-so-great, but with a few words of truthful praise, a student becomes hopeful instead of hopeless.
Not to mention the burst of hope it gives the parent when they see the paper!

Anonymous said...

Your blog reminds me of a book, The Dead Don't Dance, by Charles Martin. I didn't like Math in school either. but Ironically I ended up teaching it. An amazing thing happened. I actually liked it. I am looking forward to your next book.

Anonymous said...

Denise--so, it's either the hormones or the fact that your story reminded me of so many inspirational moments as a high school English teacher--but I cried my eyes out. Thanks for sharing! Tanya A

Kelly J said...

#1...You are one very brave soul for posting your 7th grade picture! You know how this blog thing works right? You can't pay me enough to post any picture of me when I was in Middle School! Yes ! 7th grade was my worst year by far!
#2...You never cease to amaze me!

Lynn G said...

Denise, I have been a paraprofessional (fancy term for instructional aide, for those not up on such things) for the last 6 years. My own bad memories of 7th and 8th grade math haunted me long after two wonderful high school math teachers, Mrs Yockey and Mrs Mumford, showed me I actually COULD get A's.

Every time I help a student, I know that I have walked in their shoes and understand their fears and need for someone to actually listen. There are several teachers from my past that would be shocked that I now explain 5th & 6th grade math (and even help with cursive writing on occasion - I got D's back then).

Last week, I encouraged a group of 5th graders to write haikus. We have 30 minutes in the afternoon for tutoring and higher-level thinking skills and the teacher suggested I lead a session on poetry because I'm a poet - the kids didn't know this, they only know me as Mrs. Grice the "teacher" they see everyday. I explained what a haiku was, then read them some of mine (my goal last April was to write 1 every day for a year - 366 - I would choose Leap Year!), then had them write their own. It was so exciting to see their minds in their poetry. There was only one student that didn't participate. The rest couldn't wait to share theirs with each other and me. They had SO much fun!

I come from a generation that was told to sit, be quiet and do our work, and we did. So it's been hard for me in this new age of constant chatter and disrespect. Everyday I have to remind myself of how I would have liked to have been spoken to at that age. It's a struggle when it's a disrespectful child, but even then, I love each and every one in my school. They are all God's children, just as I am, and deserving of the best I can give them. They ALL have potential.

Denise, you are a marvelous sub. Those children are so blessed. (But don't quit your "day job!")

coachgpw said...

I am proud of you getting the kids to write, learning to express themselves is something they can use the rest of their lives. It is important to take an idea, thought and you never know where you will go with it.

Muddy said...

Seventh Grade is awkward. Sounds like you handled the class well. You left a positive mark on their lives they will never forget.

Lynn G said...

Have to give you a quick followup to my 5th grade haiku writers. The next day one of the little girls greeted me at the door to her classroom, with her teacher. I was told that she couldn't wait for me to come so she could show me the poems she'd written that night! My heart melted then and there.

Laura Dawson said...

Denise - What an fabulous thing you did! My memories of 7th and 8th grades are horrendous. What a blessing you were to those children. I am sure they will always remember your encouragement and positive words. And, who knows? Maybe one day one of them will become an author, too!

God bless!

Laura