Monday, April 14, 2008

Winter's Last Stand


This time last week I was sitting outside by our community pool, working on my new book, allowing my pasty white body to come out of hibernation. Today my roses are covered with sheets, my heat is back on and my body, well, let’s just say I’m wearing socks again and grateful for the corduroy pajama pants I just bought on sale last week. Didn’t figure I’d see them until next December, but at least they’ve made the fall back to winter not quite as traumatic.
So
, as I look out over the hill that sits outside my office window here in Franklin, Tennessee, the smoky white clouds have overlapped to such a point that even the sun can’t wedge its way through. Winter isn’t going without a fight. And as I was sitting here pondering this blog, drinking a McDonald’s coke, thinking I needed to turn the heat up another couple degrees, I began to think of all the things that don’t like to leave easily.

I
thought of the lines under my eyes that the magic cream was suppose to have gone, or at least “greatly diminished”, in six weeks which are still mocking me every time I smile.
It has me contemplating what life would be like if I never smiled again. There are always options. I thought of the broken vase that I see at the top of my kitchen cabinet every time I go to get a glass and that it should have been thrown out three years earlier. I thought of the blue wash clothes that are shredded now on each of their four edges, but still do the trick of washing my face each night, even though I refuse to allow guests to see them. Those things that hang on.
And
I can’t help but dig a little deeper and think of those other things that try to hold onto us too. If I’m being honest it’s been kind of a winter season for my heart. It arrived brutally about this time last year. About the time spring was showing up winter slammed into me with the brutality of a blizzard. Now, a year later, I’m glad to say there are a few thing
s that wanted to hold on, dig in and not let go. But I just couldn’t allow winter to have the final word. I mean even Santa Claus gets out of the North Pole one night a year.
So
, when bitterness wanted to rob my heart of the ability to think spring could ever return, I just tugged at it harder, until that day when my heart actually had its first moment of feeling alive again. When grief wanted to take up residence and move into the guest room, I made it upstairs first and locked the door and told him he could only have his season. And when fear tried to attach itself to my hip, I just put on another pair of jeans. And with each moment of winter’s brave and valiant effort, my heart just fought harder. And now, a year later, even though I can’t see my roses outside my office window for the Ralph Lauren sheet that is lying on top of them, I can still see the new growth on the crepe myrtles. And even though there are still moments that grief will sweep over me I can still see the incremental healing of my heart. And I know that winter would have stayed as long as I would have allowed. Bitterness would have lived i
n the soul of me until I died if I would have spent this last year rehashing my moments of hurt. Grief could have me still under the covers if I wouldn’t have made myself get up and realize the world wasn’t going to stop and I could join it or be lost in it. And fear, oh, he’s a crafty one. He would have whispered in my ear for the rest of my life if I had given him one moment of acquiescence.
But
I had living to do. I have spring to tend to and flowers to plant. And I have summer to enjoy and tan lines to acquire. And I even had fall to appreciate and its audacious display of color. And I have living to live. And now, with winter only a shadow that I can see up the street I know that it will come again. Winter seasons just do that. But it never has to stay longer than necessary, no matter how hard it fights. And I also know that the forecast f
or Thursday is sunny and 72 degrees. And sister will be out there by that pool letting her white body blind anyone it needs to because she’s got some living to do.
Me and my friend Ashley, being completely Alive! And rather silly.....


13 comments:

Joy said...

Good morning Denise
I am so glad that you have decided to live. You are such a talented young woman and we the readers look forward to your books. I do not know what grief you are going through but I also lived with grief for a long time. I was married to man who decided to walk out on me and my two young sons. It was very difficult and I still live with some of the grief now 18 years later. But I was remarried 13 years ago next month to a man that is my soul mate and best friend. I had prayed to God to send me a God loving man andHhe listened and did just that. He has helped me raise three beautiful children that were not even his but you would never know it the way he loves them. Keep your eyes focused ahead and just ask God to keep getting you through the winter. And for the white untanned body go to the tanning bed a couple of times it is relaxing and we all look a little better tan. "Keep Living"
Joy

paige said...

what a beautiful & real post denise.
welcome to blogland!
i read your savannah series last summer. we vacation in seaside each year & i have a daughter named savannah so i loved it!

joy left you an amazing comment too!
sending you a glad springs on its way very very soon hug
xo

Muddy said...

I was so happy to see the email in my mailbox this morning declaring you now have this blog. I have enjoyed each and every book of yours immensely. The characters are so easy to identify with (especially since I'm also a Southern 'gal too) I look forward to your posts. God bless!

Dawn said...

So glad you're blogging - I'm marking your blog as one of favorites.
Beautiful post.

Linda Webb said...

Hi Denise,
So glad you are blogging. It will be great to hear from you more ofen. Love your newsletter. It is wonderful to hear you are working on a new book. I loved the Savannah books and am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for another one. I can't wait to hear from those folks again. I have passed my books all over the church and they have brought many smiles to many faces. God has blessed you with a wonderful descriptive and humorous heart. I haven't even been to Savannah and I feel like I have. Bless you my child for all the wonderful uplifting moments you have given to so many. Remember that nothing happens to you that is not sifted through the loving hands of the Father.He knows the plan He has for you, so just hang on and trust Him! He loves you soooo much. As for the white body, Coppertone Self tanning lotion works for me and believe me it is much cooler. So stay cool and stay tan all year long. I look forward to hearing from you. Keep writing! Your sister in Christ, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise!

So glad you are on blogger, will have this in my RSS so I always know when it is updated, happy blogging to you!

Gretchen : )

Rebecca said...

Hi Denise,
I'm another one excited to see that you're blogging. I'll be sure and add yours to my list of favs.

I appreciate your post, on the "winter" season in your life. But just remember, its just that, a season. And seasons past, and others come. Good for you for picking yourself up by your bootstraps so to speak. I know will find more strength with each new day to deal with your grief. And, you are not alone.

I love your books and am a huge fan. I actually wrote a book review on my blog, for The Will of Wisteria, just a couple of weeks ago.

Look forward to seeing you around in blogdom. :)

Anonymous said...

denise-- love your monthly e-mails, your books,and now your blog.i look forward to your new book. just remember sometimes in the winter of grief there is only 2 footsteps in the snow and they are not yours. we all need help now and then. the other thing is it's not "getter done" it's "gitter done". so i will expect to here from you soon-- a month is to long to wait. thanks for your humor. it really lightens my day.thanks mary yetta

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

So very glad you're blogging!

Lynn G said...

Love your blog. How cool is it to be able to communicate back and forth like this? Like instant fan letters!

As to the winter of life, amazing what bitterness can do to us, it so robs us of our joy. Just two weeks ago I was finally able to forgive someone that had hurt our family about 5 years ago. The joy I've felt since then has been absolutely amazing and God-given!

Loved all your Savannah books. I've never been there, but felt like I have been now. And your characters are SO real, like part of the family now. Flies on the Butter was great. I've just started The Will of Wisteria, so I'll have to get back to you on it, but I know it's going to be a winner because you are such a good writer and have blessed so many of us over the years. Love you too!

Unknown said...

Denise,
I loved your blog but girl, Ralph Lauren sheet on the roses! Martha Stewart needs to know about you! And I thought using Christian Dior Spring Green pantyhose to tie up your tomatoes was divine gardening! They are the perfect match for young tomato plants!
Spring has sprung and I can guarantee my little "buddy" is going to bloom this season. The Pulpwood Queens are here to tend you well as we love your smiling face and incredible writing talent!
My favorite flowers are orchids and that made me think. Orchids are showy, expensive, over the top drama and glamour, so I love them to pieces. If I were a flower I would be an orchid. If you were a flower, what would you be?
Let us all be flowers this spring and make a grand and glorious bouquet! Flowers bring joy, smell good, and make us smile big time! Big hugs to my favorite flower in my bouquet of friends!
Love,
kat the orchid, make that a leopard orchid, okay?
The Pulpwood Queen!

Stewart Family said...

Hi Denise!

I too love your books. You are so amazing. I keep telling my husband that we really need to vacation in Savannah! Keep writing! Cara

Amber Nicole Smith said...

I like the picture at the end.

You have great hair. LoL!

Your blogs always make me cry and going back reading this one, didn't change one thing.