Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Invited Over a Stack of Dirty Dishes...

So my company leaves Monday night and I'm standing over the sink staring at the dirty dishes. My mind is spinning, my addiction to "over processing" has begun and the tears begin to fall on the William Sonoma tan and cream striped dish towel in my hand. They came to support me and implementing a new vision that I feel like the Lord has given me. They were kind enough to take an evening away from their families and help me. They had so many wonderful ideas and so much information and I was mildly, okay, ginormously overwhelmed...(I know that is so not a word, but it completely fits.)

As I'm gathering my emotions I hear that sweet voice of my Father and Friend. "He says I can walk through this with you." And I realized that moment He was inviting me to invite Him into this moment in my life. I've spent the last year learning how to retrain myself. For years whenever something exciting or overwhelming occurred I made one phone call immediately. That person is no longer available. So, this year I have been learning that even though my first reaction is to call my mother or my best friend, but I feel that tug, "invite me." So I have. I've invited Him to my most vulnerable places. And what I've found is He has been trustworthy with them. That's why when He gave the invitation Monday night I did.

There over caked on pot roast, small plates covered in left over syrup we had dipped our homemade biscuits in, (Yes I make homemade biscuits. I love Carole Faye, but she ain't got nothing on me!), I invited Him. Wish I would have thought about it before He asked. Maybe that will come. Who knows. I'm just grateful He still invites. I pray when He invites you to invite Him this week, whether in the car, washing the dishes, wiping up sticky hand prints off of glass paned windows, that you'll say, "Come right on." I can tell you from experience, it made cleaning those dishes a lot more enjoyable...


Best,
Denise

1 comment:

daniella said...

I hope you're not too annoyed me and my comments, I just can't help it :-) With every post you spark something in my mind and heart and I'm so glad God speaks through you. I'm sorry that you've been hurting in the past year. Reading your posts, I couldn't help but think that this period of your life is a time when God is teaching you (among other things, of course) to just have a quiet heart, to know what the psalmist knew: "Lord, you've assigned me my portion and my cup, and have made my lot secure" (Psalm 16:5). I thought of you when I read this poem:

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure
Mingling toil with peace and rest
--Lina Sandell, Swedish

You're taking it all in one day at a time and inviting Him in while at it. Thank you for that much needed reminder, to accept the invitation and have a good talk with the one Who made me even when I'm cleaning the gunk (that could probably be used as a scientific experiment) off the highchair :-)

P.S. I must tell you that you played a role in mending the friendship between me and my kindred spirit. She is struggling with infertility and after my daughter was born she wouldn't talk to me. I understood her pain but not her reason to cut out all contact with me. Long story short, I shared with her the post you wrote about "Waiting" (when your niece was to make her debut but decided she likes to hang out in a warm gooey place much better). So, thank you. I've longed to have my best friend back and - partially - I have you to thank for that.