Saturday, June 14, 2008

My daddy...Song/Butterfly Kisses


When I heard that Tim Russert had died I picked up the phone and called my dad. Hearing the news of Mr. Russert made me actually tear up. I shared every Sunday morning with him. I trusted him. And I'm not alone. Because I've talked to quite a few people who shed a few tears over his death. But I have a feeling that the trust people had for him stemmed largely from his openness about his love for his family and his endearing book "Big Russ and Me."

But hearing of him being gone made me want to talk to my dad. My dad was there with my first steps and has been there for the rest of this journey. He and I
talk almost every day, but we hadn't touched base yet on Friday. So, when I got him on the other end of the phone, I told him I just called to tell him I loved him and hated that I couldn't be with him on Father's Day. But then I informed him I planned on crashing his and mom's anniversary this coming Friday. He laughed.

I said, "You don't mind if I go eat with you?"


He
said, "No, we'd love the company. But I'm not going to Leo's."


For
those of you who don't know, Leo's is my favorite restaurant. It's a hole in the wall, beer joint in the little town of Lugoff, SC, next to Camden, where I graduated from High School and my parents still live. And it has the best chicken wings you'll ever eat. And food has always been important to me. So important in fact, that it was part of one of the first conversations I ever actually remember having with my dad.


He
was taking me to kindergarten one morning and I said, "Dad, do you think God will have fried chicken in heaven?"


He
said, "Baby girl, if you love fried chicken God will have fried chicken."


And
since that conversation, I have always believed that God cared about everything that mattered to me. That not one thing was too insignificant to ask Him about or concern Him with, because I grew up with a dad who never found any question of mine too inconvenient.


As
I've grown, me and my brother's make fun of my dad a lot more. He makes weird sounds, will scare the living pee-turkey out of you when he drives, claps widely when he laughs and yells at himself a lot. I've always dreamed of being on the
Amazing Race, even though I'm afraid of heights, have OCD when it comes to staying in hotels, travel with my own sheets and Lysol anything that's bolted down, but have still always wanted to be go on the Amazing Race. My dad would love to be on it too, but when I sent in my audition tape a couple years ago, I ended up auditioning with my baby brother, because we just couldn't handle knowing dad would be caught on television yelling at himself. He does it most often in the kitchen when he drops food, ice, anything. Don't know why he drops so much in the kitchen, but that's just where most of the hollerin' comes from.

But there are other things I've noticed as I've grown too. I notice how much I value his opinion. I love it when I've just written a new story in a fiction book, and I've laughed out loud and I call him to read it and he laughs with me. I call him whenever I'm preparing for a message that I'm going to deliver to a church, and run something by him and he help me finds some reference I need or confirms I've done okay. And when I deliver that same message, I can hear him come out of me sometimes. And every now and then I clap when I laugh, and even yell at myself every now and then. And to be honest, I hope I never lose any of it.

But the thing I appreciate the most about my dad is how he loved me. Because the way he loved me, has allowed me to know the love of my heavenly father. Might not have been that way for all of us. Some of you today might dread this day like the plague. You might have lost your dad and today's just a day to get through. Some of you might not have spoken to your dad in years and just the thought of devoting an entire day to him seems ridiculous. And for many, the way their earthly father raised them has given them a distorted view of their heavenly father.

Can
I tell you today, that no matter your earthly example, the Creator of the Universe cares about every detail of your life. Don't believe me? Then why does He bother with knowing the number of hairs on your head, or why would He fashion your days? Because He cares about you so intricately. So uniquely. So completely.


Years
ago I was collaborating on a book. I had a poor excuse for a printer and an even poorer excuse for a computer and it crashed about sixteen hours before the finished manuscript was suppose to be completed. Fortunately, I had just printed out a hard copy, but that still meant I had to retype the entire one hundred and sixty five page manuscript. And I had already wasted four hours trying to find someone who could salvage it from my computer. But it was gone.


When
I finally finished typing it about two hours before it was due, I pressed the print button and listened as it began to hum from the printer. But I knew the printer couldn't be trusted, so I went down stairs, slipped on some pajamas and came back upstairs and laid down on the sofa in my office so it wouldn't get hung up and delay the project even more. When I laid down on the sofa I realized I had forgotten to put on any socks and my feet were freezing. (Just so you know, I wear socks to bed...) But my body was so tired I couldn't move. And it was either get up and get a pair, or ask Maggie to go get some.
Now, if you know anything about Shih-tzu's they are an ornery breed. But Maggie is off the charts! This dog at six weeks old wouldn't let you hold her. She'd climb off your chest and walk to the end of the sofa, let out a huff and make sure you knew she didn't need to be bothered. She let's you know what she needs when she needs it. And all I can say is now she is thirteen and ornery doesn't even begin to describe her.

But here I was physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted, and way too tired to go get socks, when my Maggie, jumped up on the end of the sofa and stretched her furry body right across my feet. This was as big a miracle as the sea parting. I promise. And in that moment, God whispered to my heart, "This is how much I love you. Enough to warm your feet."


(Dad and four of his girls-his oldest granddaughter Hannah & his youngest, Georgia)

I
can't tell you how many times I've thought of that through the years when I've doubted if God was really aware of where I was or what I needed. And those words come flooding back, "This is how much I love you. Enough to warm your feet."


So,
if your dad is still around today, give him a call. Tell him you love him. If you haven't spoken in years, let it go.
Maybe he fathered you from his own broken place. And what will winning a war of wills prove in the end? If your daddy is gone, take a moment and remember him with a friend. Tell them a story about what he meant to you. Or leave a post here and share it with us, we'd love to know. And if you've spent your life thinking God couldn't love you because you've let your father be the mirror, may I whisper the same words to you. He loves you enough to warm your feet. Just let Him. You'll forget you ever even needed socks...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is so sweet. It IS amazing how God loves us in the little ways, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

My dad is gone. Stage IV melanoma took him 10 months ago. I remember at the end when he couldn't talk and I sat next to him with tears rolling down my cheeks that he leaned over, wiped my tear away and kissed me. Still my dad to the end.

Thanks Denise for such a sweet entry and I am so glad that you took time to call your dad and let him know once again how much he means to you.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

My died in 1986 - when I was still a young woman, and before I had the opportunity to get to truly know and appreciate him. But God being the awesome Father he is put me in the fellowship of a church in little small town Camden, SC - and it has been there that I have learned so much of the grace of a loving, heavenly father. Death may have claimed my earthly dad but my Heavenly one already had another direction for me and what a wonderful life it has been. Thanks for sharing - Much love.

Stewart Family said...

All night I kept thinking should I or shouldn't I call my biological dad today. Well I decided not too. You see, this pain goes way back as far as I can remember..... My parents got divorced when I was 4. Shortly after, my mom remarried and that man became my "dad". He raised me and showed love for me.

I lost a lot of contact through the years with my real dad. He had other marriages and with them came step children. I never felt love from him. I don't have too many memories of him. I am now 34. He still lives in the same town. I have moved and now live far away from him. He is married and has 3 step children and grandchildren from them.

About 5 years ago I decided to call my real dad because everynight he was all I could think about. Why he never showed love for me or made me feel like I was his daughter. It went great. We started talking on the phone everyweek. I started writing him letters then after ahwile I started wondering why I never heard from him. Long story short... his wife was throwing them away. Ever since, things have been pretty much back the way they use to be. No phone contact anymore. I want to let him go. I have my step father who loves me and has always been there but why can't I stop thinking about my real dad. I read your blog about your dad and it made me wonder if I should have called him today anyway.

Anyways, thanks for writing your blogs. I am open to any advice. cara

Denise Hildreth said...

Sweet Cara,

I think the beautiful thing is how God stepped in and gave you a father. He provided for you an even greater revelation of His love by taking a man who didn't give birth to you and let loved you as his own. Sounds a little like a man named Joseph and a son named Jesus.

Many men can produce children. Not every man however is a father. What's most important is the state of your heart. That at the end of the day is the only thing you are truly responsible for. That your heart holds no unforgiveness or bitterness.

Many people parent from their broken state. From what you describe it sounds like your father is a broken man. Your challenge, which it seems you are doing, is to break that cycle. And to realize that God fathered you very well.

To call or not to call is your choice. To know you are loved deeply by the one who truly gives life is what's most important.

Best,
Denise

Anonymous said...

denise-- My dad died when i was 16.He was a great man i suppose as i have learned so much about him thru the memories my older siblings and my aunts share as i get older. He did quite a few funny things too. One thing i'll always laugh at is his naming me , his 6th child of 12 children ,after his mother. Then found out to late that her name was yetta mary instead of mary yetta as he named me. He was very strong in the catholic faith and when my mother married him she asked how many children he wanted and he told her one dozen even. Of course she thought he was teasing her--little did she know-he meant it.
Another thing i remember is his fear that i would not be able to have children and being a good catholic girl what would i do with my life. This was because i was a late bloomer and didn't have my monthly visitor yet at the age of 16. So he told my mother to take me to the female doctor to make sure my plumbing was ok. (now you must understand that i'm thrilled because i haven't had to deal with the monthly visitor like my older sisters had since they were each 12 yrs old) Anyway the doctor told my mother i was a late bloomer and it would come when it is time. I laughed at my sisters and was goind na na na na and my father caught me and told me "why are you laughing--it could have been serious--you could have been baron-- without children and as a catholic woman where would you be?" And he was very serious! almost like women couldn't do anything of substance without children.Of course this was coming from a man who thought it was his mission in life to single handedly populate the catholic church in or area and he did try.--- The more I learn about him the more I know how much he loved each and everyone of us.
thanks for sharing your dad stories I enjoy sharing my dad too. mary yetta

andrea benton said...

I would have to say I have one of the greatest dads in the world. Because I am the baby of two kids, he has been the one I clung to. He was both a mom and dad for most of my life. But i would have to say that the most touching moment of my life so far would have to be him walking me down the isle earlier this year. Before he handed me over to my now husband he stood with me in the back of the church and said "never forget where your home is, and always remember i love you, and i am here for you, you will always be my baby girl."
and before he gave me away he kissed my cheek and whispered in my ear " i love you".
being young, i guess i just don't think about either of my parents leaving me any time soon.
but after reading this i want to spend any available time with them letting them know i love them.