Monday, November 10, 2008

Praying for a President


As I watched President elect Obama give his speech in Grant Park after being elected President of the United States I watched as the tears rolled down the faces of so many there in attendance. I let mine fall as well; the historical achievement and statement of how far we have come would not be lost on me. The other thing that won’t be lost on me is my responsibility regarding this new President.

In my daily study I was reading I Timothy 2:1, 2 the day after the election. “First of all, then, I admonish and urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all men. For kings and all who are in positions of authority or high responsibility, that [outwardly] we may pass a quiet and undisturbed life [and inwardly] a peaceable one in all godliness and reverence and seriousness in every way.” (Amplified version)

No matter whom you voted for, the responsibility for each of us is the same. We have the responsibility to intercede for our new President. It would be more than redundant to say no President has faced tougher times. But it clearly exemplifies the great need for direction, wisdom and grace that our new President will need, so that we may “pass a quiet and undisturbed life and a peaceable one in all godliness and reverence and seriousness in every way.”

May God continue to turn our hearts toward Him and may we never forget how far we’ve come from the days when entire groups of people were relegated to balconies at movie theaters, back seats in buses and back pews in churches. May our words be kind after a season of divisiveness. We may not agree on all issues, but we can agree that we have each one been formed in the image of God and we can celebrate the huge stamp on history that last Tuesday left. On January 20th one President will leave the post and another will enter it. May the wisdom of God rest on that White House. May the grace of God lead our outgoing President in the remaining days and our incoming President in the days to come.

3 comments:

Ronel said...

So wisely put, I have been thinking a lot about the changes we are facing as a nation. Many of my friends and co-workers feel defeated yet I feel the need to pray for our new president no matter what... I feel this is my responsibility.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is amen. We all need to put aside our politics and pray for our new president elect that God may guide him to make the decisions that will keep our nation safe. I hope he is able to talk with wisdom to our allies as well as those countries who do not like us to much. I hear people around me putting him down and others say he is great. Let's give him a chance. So I say AMEN to your blog.

Beauty From Ashes said...

This has really given me pause, and great conviction as a result. Several of my friends turned in support of Obama after the election, but I have to say I was a tough hold out. Although I still feel very strongly about the choice I made with my vote, you have made me realize what's done is done and as a christian I have no choice but to shower our new president in prayer.

Praise God - he is still on the throne. He can still move the mountains if WE have the faith of a mustard seed.

Thanks, Denise. You continue to inspire me, and help me to want to be a better person - as well as a better daughter to the King!