Sunday, November 16, 2008

What I'm Thankful For


Since Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away, I wondered if we could spend them thinking about things we are thankful for. The idea came to me the other morning lying in bed with the cloud over my head about as gray as the cloud that loomed outside. I knew why it was there. It was that lovely week of PMS when all women take one moment to tell Eve how much they wish they could slap her. I'd ask for forgiveness when I was through, but I have to say there is a brief moment each month that it takes all I have to not despise the woman.

But as I was lying there I gave myself a task. Keep your eyes open for things to be grateful for. No complaining for the next two weeks. Only talking about what your thankful for. Now, granted this has been a year and a half of noticing all the beautiful places God has moved in my life in even a more real way than in years past, but this truly cognizant approach to my day had me quite amazed at all I saw. Here's my list for this past week. I challenge you to do the same this week and share with us what you noticed...

I'm thankful that I still PMS, because the alternative isn't that appealing at my age.
I'm thankful that the new lines around my eyes this year came from laughing.
I'm thankful for three hour car rides with friends who aren't afraid to be honest, vulnerable and don't mind that I have to go to the bathroom every hundred miles.
I'm thankful that babies smell so good and don't care if you make a fool out of yourself.
I'm thankful that my dogs are just as excited to see me after five minutes as they are after five days.
I'm thankful for strangers who risk becoming your friend.
I'm thankful for people who take their creativity and write songs that I can sing to the top of my lungs in my car.
I'm thankful for the homemade biscuits and peach preserves at Loveless Cafe.
I'm thankful for my precious neighbor Jane who thinks of me every time she bakes something.
I'm thankful for my sister-in-laws who call me just to talk.
I'm thankful that five people call me Aunt Niecy.
I'm thankful that someone thought the iPhone would be a good idea.
I'm thankful that my mom and dad are still living and have stayed together even during the difficult times.
I'm thankful that everyday I get to do what I love.
I'm thankful for fall and how God shows off what an artist he is.
I'm thankful for the old friends I've reconnected with on Facebook.
I'm thankful that no matter what I've been through God still finds me usable.
I'm thankful for socks that match my pj's to keep my feet from getting cold.
I'm thankful that death, divorce, and sickness don't have the final word over a life.
I'm thankful that there is a season to celebrate just a few reasons why I'm thankful.
And I'm thankful for people like you to share this amazing journey with.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that you are MY DAUGHTER. I love you and we are so blessed. Mom

daniella said...

My thankful list could go on forever, even though in some moments and some days I feel like doing nothing but grumble (like this morning, when I woke up and had that "dark cloud" you were talking about. Darn Eve!).

But today, I'm particulary thankful for YOU. Because of this post, my outlook on this day has turned around and I can now enjoy it more...go make myself a cup of hot tea and all. Thank you, stranger-friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Denise, don't listen for a minute....Hey Denise's Mom...thanks for sharing your very special daughter. I got to meet her this past weekend. She's a treasure and a joy. It's just fun to watch God using her. God bless you. Okay, Denise...back to you...I'm thankful for you, for your transparency, and for seeing Jesus in you. And I'm thankful for the privilege of being your friend and cheerleader. Love you girl, Susan

Lynette said...

Hey Denise,
I was in the audience Saturday night and your message was so powerful and now...this blog posting. You are truly a blessing and I am thankful for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Denise and MOM --- I echo what Susan said.... thanks for sharing your treasure. Denise is a very special lady.